7659 Sauk Trail Frankfort,
IL 60423
www.stanthonyfrankfort.com

PARISH HISTORY

Church20Drawing

1936 St. Anthony | had its beginnings in Lincoln Estates. Before 1936 Mass was offered in the homes of parishioners in the vicinity of Frankfort. On June 7, 1936, Reverend Albert Breuserman, OFM, offered the first Mass at St. Wilfred's Chapel, a railroad coach obtained from the Rock Island Railroad. St. Wilfred's was a mission of St. Mary's in Mokena.

1948 | a church was erected on Route 30 under the pastorate of Reverend Benedict Pfeifer, OFM. The first Mass in this church, now called St. Anthony's was offered by Father Benedict on September 5, 1948.

February 1, 1972 | St. Anthony's received the status of a Diocesan Parish. Reverend James Frederick was appointed pastor with Reverend Richard Best assisting on weekends. A home on 79th Avenue was purchased by the Diocese to be used as a rectory. By 1973 the parish numbered 400 families and Masses were held at the Franciscan Mother House, St. Francis Woods, in Frankfort.

Early 1974 | the decision was made by the diocese to locate the facilities of St. Anthony's parish on Sauk Trail. The first phase of the project was the completion of the rectory in the autumn of 1974. On October 10th, 1976 the ground was broken for the Multi-purpose Building. On September 18, 1977, Bishop Blanchette blessed the new Multi-purpose Building, that would be our worship space for several years, now know as Memenas Hall.

 

chuch parish in summer

August of 1978 | Reverend Arno Dennerlein was appointed pastor of St. Anthony's. Reverend Licinio Gonzales and Reverend Salvatore Formusa were available on weekends to hear confessions and say Mass.

March 5, 1979 | the parish had completely paid off the debts for the Multi-purpose Building and the grounds.

April 25, 1982 | ground was broken for the new church. On June 26, 1983 the Most Reverend Joseph L. Imesch was the principal celebrant of Mass to dedicate the new church. Bishop Joseph Imesch appointed Fr. Vytas Memenas as the third pastor of St. Anthony in 1990.

1997 | with more than 2600 families, the Padua Center was built. This Center houses the Religious Education Program, a Preschool, Adult Scripture Studies and welcomes all types of Ministries.

1999 | Fr. Vytas Memenas retired and Bishop Imesch appointed Fr. Thomas Corbino pastor. Fr. Tom served St. Anthony from June 1999 to June 2008, serving over 2600 families.

June 2008 | Reverend J. Peter Sartain, Bishop of Joliet appointed Fr. Greg Skowron as the 5th pastor of St. Anthony. Fr. Greg was pastor from 2008 through mid 2016. He continued to deepen the roots of the community's faith and strengthen families' values.

June 2016 | Bishop R. Daniel Conlon appointed Richard L. Smith as the 6th Pastor of St. Anthony Catholic Church. The parish families and ministries offered continue to grow in grace to serve our neighbors.