IN THE CLASSROOM
St. Anthony Preschool is located in the Padua Center which is the building located behind St. Anthony Catholic Church. The Preschool has the use of 6 classrooms on the first floor located behind glass doors that are locked during school hours to ensure safety. Each class will consist of no more than 13 children with 1 teacher and 1 teacher's aide. There are many times parents are able to sign-up and volunteer and enjoy time in the classroom with your child. Each classroom has its own bathroom and is fully furnished with permanent learning centers for children to explore. Examples include a Building Center, Dramatic Play Center, Art Easles, Puzzles, Small Motor Center, Sensory Center, Writing Center, Math Center, and Reading Center. There is also a computer located in every classroom to further enhance your child's learning experience.
St. Anthony Preschool curriculum is dedicated to promoting the skills required for Kindergarten Readiness and future success in school. It is our goal to introduce these skills through lessons and activites based on age appropriate subject matter. Our staff is constantly updating our material to ensure that we are keeping up with the standards set by the Diocese of Joliet and the State of Illinois expectations for children entering Kindergarten.
St. Anthony Preschool curriculum focuses on the following subject areas: Religion is taught through daily prayers, bible stories, and monthly prayer services. Literacy is based on "The Letter People Language Arts Program" and Dolche Sight Words. Math skills include number recognition, patterning, shapes, and counting. Socialization skills are explored through free play, manners, and group activites. We offer Spanish lessons, science, and computer skills.
Parent involvement is important to your child's success throughout their educational career. There are many volunteer opportunities available throughout the year. For the saftey of our children, following the Joliet Diocese Policy, each parent that wishes to volunteer in the classroom or at any of our events must attend a Protecting God's Children Workshop and pass a required background check.
3 YEAR OLDS:
- Monthly Prayer Service
- Letters A-Z Taught with "The Letter People" Curriculum
- Numbers 0-10 (Recognition & Concept)
- Shapes: Circle, Square, Triangle, Rectangle, Square, Star, Heart, and Diamond.
- Pre-Primer Dolche Sight Words
- Opposites including: Same/Different, Up/Down, Big/Little, On/Off, Left/Right, Before/After
- Science discussions including: Weather, Nocturnal Animals, Floating vs. Sinking objects, Seasons, Magnets, and Flowers
- Days of the Week
- Months of the Year
- Patterning (AB)
- Sequencing (3 pictures/Events)
- Community Service
4 YEAR OLDS:
- All 3 Year Old Skills
- Letters A-Z (Lower Case)
- Phonemic Awareness
- Primer Dolche Sight Words
- First and Last Name Recognition
- Patterning (ABC)
- Sequencing (4 pictures/events)
- Address & Phone Number
- Science experiments including Apples, Pumpkins, Volcanos, Insects, Solar System, Skeletons
- Simple daily Spanish Words including Hello/Good-bye, Dog/Cat, Yes/No, Thank You, and Days of the Week.
School Hours: 9:00 AM - 12:00 P.M.
Regular Drop off begins at 8:50 A.M. outside the Preschool. Pick-up begins at 12:00 P.M. upon completion of the school day.
3 YEAR OLD PROGRAM
Option 1: Monday & Wednesday
Option 2: Tuesday & Thursday
4 YEAR OLD PROGRAM
Monday - Thursday
Regular drop off begins at 8:50 A.M. outside the Preschool. An Aide will be outside to walk your child into the building. The child will then begin their day in the classroom based on the outline below that will be themed around the teachers planned curriculum.
- Morning Prayer, pledge, weather, and calendar
- Circle time in which the teacher will cover religious, academic, or thematic topics of the curriculum through discussion, song, story, or activity.
- Projects will follow helping in the development of cutting, gluing, fine motor skills, and reinforcement of the curriculum topics.
- Gross motor time is used to learn and develop large motor skills. Weather permitting, the children spend time outside in our fenced-in play area.
- Music time is used to sing and practice rhythm skills.
- We ask parents to send a snack with their child every day. St. Anthony Preschool is a Peanut-Free School. The children will learn a snack prayer and the proper manners of enjoying their snack.
- Story time is spent sharing good books with our students.
- Free Play is time spent everyday when the children can socialize and engage in play at the classroom centers.
Our regular pick-up time is 12:00 P.M. for 3 and 4 year olds. Parents walk into the building and line up outside their child's classroom door. Arrangements are available for curb side pick-up if you would like your child to be walked out to the car. We also offer an after-school program for the 3 and 4 year old students.